April 4, 2010

Spring has sprung...

Well, spring has burst upon us here in little ol' Missouri.  The weather has been increasingly warmer, and we're getting the typical weather patterns of spring in the midwest (read: can't have a nice sunny day without gale force winds and the threat of tornados and thunderstorms.  Forget having any type of hairstyle if you go outside, it'll be gone in thirty seconds.  It's fun, you should come visit.). 

The other day I noticed my lilies were poking up just a little, so today I did a check of the entire yard and found that while we were busy passing time, someone's been hard at work making my gardens grow.  For your viewing pleasure:

[caption id="attachment_687" align="alignnone" width="260" caption="Unknown shrubbery"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_686" align="alignnone" width="225" caption="Peach tree my hubby bought for my birthday last year"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_685" align="alignnone" width="300" caption="Hosta"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_681" align="alignnone" width="225" caption="Lilies"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_682" align="alignnone" width="225" caption="Phlox"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_683" align="alignnone" width="225" caption="Phlox in rusty wheelbarrow"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_684" align="alignnone" width="225" caption="Peach Tree Blossom"][/caption]

 

We have a lot planned for the yard and house this year.  All of my plant areas need to be cleared out and remulched, we're going to rebuild the deck, paint the exterior, and hopefully re-gravel the driveway and if we have time (and the budget) we are hoping to get a small patio built so we have a permanent spot for the firepit and a seating area. 

And in knitting news, I have been working hard on the Waterfall Socks (they're called Waterfall because I used the Waterfall Rib pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks, and the colors lend themselves to a nature theme).  Here's one almost done:

[caption id="attachment_690" align="alignnone" width="259" caption="Waterfall sock 1"][/caption]

 

I have been working them simultaneously, in sections.  I'm to the toe decreases on this one, and the 2nd one still needs the foot section worked, so it's about 3 inches shorter right now.  I love knitting socks, but dread "second sock syndrome".  It sucks.  You get done with one gorgeous sock and realize...aw damn.  I still have another whole sock to do!!!  So I worked these together, doing one cuff and leg, then the other.  One heel flap and turn and then the other.  One gusset decrease, then the other.  You get the idea.  It's worked out really well doing them this way, and kept me from getting too bored.  I bought a book a few weeks ago about working two socks simulatneously on the same circular needle.  It looks really complicated and I'm not sure if I'll be able to figure it out.  Next time I do a pair of socks, I am going to try working it on two circs instead of four double pointed needles.  You still get the same sock in the end, it's just a different method of getting there.  (Hmmm, knitting paralleling life apparently).  I'm excited to get these done so I can start on another project.  I can't decide if it will be a clothing item for me or more socks.  I have two more sock patterns that I want to do, and more yarn for another Booga Bag.  I might make the bag to break the monotony of the sock knitting.  We'll just have to see when the time comes what strikes out at me.

Well, I guess that's all for now. 

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and insight with me, for being a part of my journey on The Road, and for allowing me to be a part of yours...come back soon!