November 9, 2010

NaBloPoMo Day 9: Jobs I've Had

Jumping back on the NaBloPoMo bandwagon...

Apparently I can't even manage to handle a 30 day blog posting challenge. But...I digress.

Tonight's topic is: List the jobs you've had during your life.


  • Well, starting off as a "tween" and early teenager I babysat.
  • When I was 16, I got my first "real" job, working at Six Flags (Over Mid America...just outside St. Louis, MO). I worked in the "Wardrobe" department. It was much less glamorous than it sounds. I basically did laundry for the entire park. All park employees wear uniforms, and it is the Wardrobe department's job to issue/launder/maintain all said uniforms. I worked there, in the same department, for three years. And people wonder why I don't like doing laundry now.
  • When I was 19, I got a job as a teller in a bank. I really enjoyed it, and was good at it. I worked my way up the ranks from teller to lead teller to supervisor trainee. Due to some personal problems I was having at the time, I quit that job when I was about 22 or 23 I think.
  • I then went to work for Dierberg's Supermarkets as a cashier for about 9 months.
  • I worked next for Blockbuster video for a year or so. I started as a clerk and worked up to assistant manager. I really enjoyed this job, but due to personality conflicts with the manager I worked with, I quit.
  • My next job was at an answering service. I was there for approximately a year, maybe a little more.
  • In July 1999, I began working for my current employer, a 9-1-1 dispatch center. I did take a 10 month hiatus in 2007...and worked for a home medical equipment company, but due to financial reasons, I went back to 9-1-1 in April of 2008.

If I was asked out of all of those what my favorite job has been, it would have to be a cross between Blockbuster (just because we had some really good times there!) and 9-1-1. I love my job...maybe not always the people...but I definitely love what I do for a living.

Maybe someday I'll have enough mental energy for a REAL blog post!

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and insight with me, for being a part of my journey on The Road, and for allowing me to be a part of yours...come back soon!