June 19, 2012

Try It Out Tuesday - Pineapple Angel Food Cake


Welcome, again, to a brand new episode of Try It Out Tuesday!

Don't forget to check out these other bloggers and their TioT adventures!

     Kelly @ My Purple Brick Road - Salad in a Jar

     Mary @ Oh My Little Soul - Margarita Jello Shots and Keepsakes in a canning jar


This past weekend while my hubby was away for the weekend (in Jefferson City for clinicals), I decided to try out a pin I'd been eyeing up.  And since I had both ingredients in my pantry, it was the perfect experiment for Try it Out Tuesday.




This recipe is ridiculously easy.  One box of "just add water" angel food cake mix.  One large (15oz) can of crushed pineapple with the juice.  Dump both in a bowl.  Mix.  Pour into ungreased pan.  Bake.  Viola!

The Good:  It's easy.  And quick.  A nice flavor.  The pineapple makes for a very summery light taste, and it would be good with a dollop of cool-whip on top.  It's low in calories and fat.  4 Weight Watchers points per serving.  

The Not So Good:  I don't know if I did something wrong, but mine turned out gummy, with a very weird texture.  It didn't rise much at all, so I was left with a very dense, rubbery, gummy (but yummy) cake-like substance.  

Would I try it again?  Oddly enough, I probably would.  I might try it again using a regular angel food cake pan and perhaps tweaking the recipe a bit.

The Final Verdict:  Overall for me, a fail.  However, if I decide to make it again and it turns out better, I will come back and modify my vote.  

What new Pins have you tried lately?






2 comments:

  1. I've made this before quite a few times with canned apple & cherry (the pineapple is probably healthier) but I know you can use any sort of fruit that has a bit of juice with it so canned peaches might work as well. It does tend to be a little on the gummy side, with my stove I have to cook it like 10minutes longer than the recipe says - not sure if it's just the color seems off to me or my stove is dumb. It rises then falls, but I tend to cut it up a bit like a sheet cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi from ICLW - I love pineapple - may have to try out your recipe! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and insight with me, for being a part of my journey on The Road, and for allowing me to be a part of yours...come back soon!